Women for Riley
Women for Riley are ambassadors for Riley Children’s Health in the community.
This vibrant group of women is committed to making a difference in the lives of Riley Children’s patients and families by helping raising awareness of the hospital in Indiana and beyond, increasing philanthropic support of its programs and services, and having fun along the way.
Volunteering to help Riley kids and team members
Women for Riley members can also become trained Riley volunteers and participate in different activities each month at the hospital.
On-going COVID-19 restrictions allowed members to embrace the opportunity to get creative with their volunteer efforts. From creating fun, imaginative crafts for the Child Life Craft Cart to making serenity packages for staff members, Women for Riley maintained a strong volunteer presence at Riley.
Currently, here are plans to further expand in-person volunteer opportunities to members who are certified volunteers and as safety regulations allow.
Making an impact through grants
Women for Riley members support a compelling grants program that advances its mission and impacts individual patients, their families and the hospital as a whole.
Grants submitted by Riley personnel are reviewed in February when the grants committee members vote to approve grants in amounts up to $10,000.
To date, Women for Riley has awarded more than $1.6 million in grants.
The 2022-2023 grants that were approved include:
- Space For Belonging - items for children entering foster care
- Improving Patient and Family Education - Trach mannequins / CPR dolls
- Nurturing Plant Growth to Improve Mental Health in Patients with Eating Disorders
- Enclothed Cognition Clothing Group - mannequins at the Charis Center
- Adaptive Equipment - 3D printer parts for wheelchairs
- Therapy Garment Loaning Library
- Cystic Fibrosis Home Monitoring System
- Riley Portion Plates
- Healing Hands Massage Therapy
- Inpatient Pediatric Rehab School Reintegration
- Art Therapy
- Maternity Tower Blood Pressure Cuffs
- Child Passenger Safety Program - Signature
- Emergency Department Trauma Closet - clothes for the ED-Signature
- The Cleft and Craniofacial Special Needs Fund - Signature
- Certified Child Life Specialist - Signature
- Riley Bereavement Services - Signature
Bringing the fun with Riley Prom
One of the most anticipated events of the year is the Women for Riley marquee event, the annual Riley Prom each spring.
While prom was virtual the last few years for our in-patient families due to COVID-19, it still provides a special experience for patients and families.
Members decorated, packed and delivered 110 special gift boxes to Riley, to kids at Riley at IU Health North and care packages to the new mothers in the maternity tower.
Women for Riley is planning a 2023 in-person event for our outpatient families. In addition, the virtual component will continue for in-patient families.
Interested in joining?
New member classes are formed once a year and prospective member events are held throughout the year.
If you would like more information regarding membership, email email@example.com and designate Membership in the subject line.
Meet the Women for Riley Leadership
Shelbi Grow & Michelle Baxter
Social Media Chair
Megan Midousski & Christina Humphery
Social Events Co-Chairs
Dana Foreman & Kelly Whalen
Laurie Schneider & Juli Hollingsworth
Aleigha Clifford & Mallory Lauth
Claire Becker & Megan Gripe
Riley Children’s Foundation Staff Liaison
- 2008-09 - Wendy Kaufman
- 2009-10 - Tracy Miller
- 2010-11 - Tracy Hugenard & Julie Eskenazi
- 2011-12 - Julie Eskenazi
- 2012-13 - Jill Burnett
- 2013-14 - Lee Neff
- 2014-15 - Julia McCallum & Heather McLaughlin
- 2015-16 - Barbara McLaughlin
- 2016-17 - Dara Wade
- 2017-18 - Kristy Murphy
- 2018-19 - Lindsay Thornton
- 2019-20 - Kasee Carlstedt
- 2020-21 - Amy Kraner
- 2021-22 - Alison Zink
Interested in joining Women for Riley?
To learn more about joining Women for Riley, please submit an interest form and tell us a little about yourself.