Women for Riley
Women for Riley are ambassadors for Riley Children’s Health in the community.
This vibrant group of women is committed to making a difference in the lives of Riley Children’s patients and families by helping raising awareness of the hospital in Indiana and beyond, increasing philanthropic support of its programs and services, and having fun along the way.
Volunteering to help Riley kids and team members
Women for Riley members can also become trained Riley volunteers and participate in different activities each month at the hospital.
On-going COVID-19 restrictions allowed members to embrace the opportunity to get creative with their volunteer efforts. From creating fun, imaginative crafts for the Child Life Craft Cart to making serenity packages for staff members, Women for Riley maintained a strong volunteer presence at Riley.
Currently, here are plans to further expand in-person volunteer opportunities to members who are certified volunteers and as safety regulations allow.
Making an impact through grants
Women for Riley members support a compelling grants program that advances its mission and impacts individual patients, their families and the hospital as a whole.
Grants submitted by Riley personnel are reviewed in February when the grants committee members vote to approve grants in amounts up to $10,000.
To date, Women for Riley has awarded more than $1.55 million in grants.
The 2021-2022 grants that were approved include:
- Foster Care Bridge Clinic Book Nook
- Support for Vulnerable Asthma Patients
- Medical Staff Skills Labs
- Art Therapy Maternity Support
- 4N Behavioral Health Treatment Programming Supplies
- Clothing Children with Acute Psychiatric Needs on 4N and During Prolonged ED-BHAC (Emergency Department- Behavioral Health Access Center) Stays
- New Diagnosis Patient Guide
- Burn Education Children's Books
- Patient Care Packages for New Diagnosis of Celiac Disease
- Brave & Beautifully Black: Celebrating Diversity in Cancer & Blood Disorders
- Pediatric Airway Management Model
- Ring that Bell
- Safe to Hold in the CVICU
- Adaptive Car Seat Loan Program
- Behavioral Health Lock Boxes
- The Home Safety Project
- Cooking Kits
Bringing the fun with Riley Prom
One of the most anticipated events of the year is the Women for Riley marquee event, the annual Riley Prom each spring.
While prom was virtual the last few years for our in-patient families due to COVID-19, it still provides a special experience for patients and families.
Members decorated, packed and delivered 110 special gift boxes to Riley, to kids at Riley at IU Health North and care packages to the new mothers in the maternity tower.
Women for Riley is planning a 2023 in-person event for our outpatient families. In addition, the virtual component will continue for in-patient families.
Meet the Women for Riley Leadership
Social Media Chair
Amanda Ross & Cassandra Stevning
Social Events Co-Chairs
Dana Foreman & Kelly Whalen
Alissa Moody & Kelle Hennessee
Emily Duckworth & Meredith Kroger
Megan Gripe & Claire Becker
Riley Children’s Foundation Staff Liaison
- 2008-09 - Wendy Kaufman
- 2009-10 - Tracy Miller
- 2010-11 - Tracy Hugenard & Julie Eskenazi
- 2011-12 - Julie Eskenazi
- 2012-13 - Jill Burnett
- 2013-14 - Lee Neff
- 2014-15 - Julia McCallum & Heather McLaughlin
- 2015-16 - Barbara McLaughlin
- 2016-17 - Dara Wade
- 2017-18 - Kristy Murphy
- 2018-19 - Lindsay Thornton
- 2019-20 - Kasee Carlstedt
- 2020-21 - Amy Kraner
- 2021-22 - Alison Zink