Meet Riley Hospital for Children's Newest Arrival
On September 8, 2021, a ribbon-cutting ceremony celebrating the completion of the five-story, $142 million Riley Hospital for Children Maternity Tower was held in front of the tower entrance. By combining the high-quality maternity care of Indiana University Health with the highly skilled pediatric care of Riley, this new facility will offer the best and safest maternity and newborn health service under one roof.
Later this year, Riley will begin welcoming patients to the Maternity Tower, transforming care for moms and babies in Indiana and beyond and centralizing all inpatient childbirth and newborn care offered at three downtown IU Health hospitals. It has the accommodations to support traditional birth plans and the experience of exceptionally skilled Neonatology, Maternal-Fetal Medicine specialists, and nationally ranked pediatric and adult specialists to care for high-risk pregnancies and babies with critical needs.
“I am so proud of our entire Riley team and the difficult, intense hard work they have put in to be ready for this day. They have been committed to every detail of the patient experience in the most admirable way,” said Gil Peri, Riley Children’s Health president.
Thanks to the exceptional generosity of our donors, Riley Children’s Foundation has proudly provided more than $25 million toward the life-saving and life-changing care that will take place in the Riley Maternity Tower. These donations will help more moms safely welcome their babies into this world.
Four floors were renovated to house a labor and delivery unit, a 45-bed Level 3 neonatal intensive care unit and a postpartum unit. The Tower:
- Provides comprehensive maternity services, from lowest to highest risk. Maternal-fetal medicine specialists are available for high-risk deliveries or vulnerable babies. Our obstetrical intensive care unit is one of only a handful in the nation dedicated to high-risk obstetrics, providing the best outcomes if complications arise.
- Includes an OB Intensive Care Unit (ICU) and OB Emergency (ED) are available to all mothers and newborns to help with any complex situation with our dedicated and trained intensivists.
- Accommodate 3,800+ deliveries each year and improve patient experience for moms, babies by keeping them together with co-located services
- Contain a 45-bed Level 3 NICU, which when added to the 60-bed Level 4 NICU currently in Simon Family Tower, making it the largest NICU in Indiana and among largest in the country.
- House Level IV Obstetrical and Neonatal Care - the highest level of care for both mother and baby. The Riley at IU Health Maternity Tower will be the only facility in Indiana with all services located in the same building.
To learn more about supporting Riley Maternity and Newborn Health programs, please contact Pamela Fairchild Clark at PFairchild-Clark@Rileykids.org or 317.759.6959.